History

The Norfolk and Norwich Hospital was founded in 1771. The new Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital is a £240 million PFI venture with 900 beds and is one of the most high tech Hospitals in Europe. The department of ophthalmology moved to the new site in November 2001. There are strong links with the School of Biological Sciences at the University of East Anglia (UEA). Close to UEA and within the Norwich Research Park are leading centres of research in plant biology, food nutrition and health related research including the Institute of Food Research (IFR). The first intake of medical students at the new University Medical School occurred in September 2002.

The Department of Ophthalmology is an independent Directorate within an NHS hospital trust encompassing all specialities; many of these are tertiary referral centres in East Anglia. The Ophthalmology Directorate is located in a purpose built section of the Trust.

Clinics

There are 10 well-equipped clinic rooms and an emergency room within the clinical area. The Orthoptic department, comprising 9 orthoptists, is linked to the same area. There are additional rooms for fluorescein angiography, corneal topography, stereo optic disc photography, routine fundus photography, digital anterior segment imaging, scanning laser ophthalmoscopy, Humphrey visual field analysis, and ultrasonography.

Wards

There is a 16-bed ward with 3 treatment rooms. This, together with a day case unit has easy access to the two operating theatres.

Theatres

There are 2 well-equipped theatres, each with an associated anaesthetic/treatment room and a CSSD. The addition of a Wet Lab is planned.


© Bijan Beigi 2019 - www.ophthalmol.com - Tel: 0870 850 1093